Saturday 12 March 2016

Mixing it up!

It has been a while since my last blog.......and it does seem a little too late to be writing about New Years Resolutions!  The theme for the year is mixing it up, experimenting and enjoying the creative process.  I have started this year working on a few designs for publications.

I have made a few additions to my Etsy shop that fit with this theme!  Helenium Flower was a bead embroidery design entered in to Nicole's Bead Backing competition.  It is my go to  beading foundation - no need to reach for the Sharpie pens and wait for the ink to dry.  I started experimenting with tulip petal beads last summer to create a tulip inspired design.  However in this design I have used them in the opposite orientation - giving a ruffled organic feel.  The design is completed with a twist of Shibori ribbon.



The Argyle Bangle was first published in 'Quick and Easy Beadwork, 2015'.  I love the variety of Argyle Patterns, and given my surname, it is quite apt that this was my first published design in print.  I had a custom request for this tutorial - so I am offering the bangle design initially at a discounted price.  I developed a series of designs in Spring 2014 around this theme - so there is more to come!


Memories of the Beach was my first design in 'Bead & Jewellery', issue 64, July 2015.  I love collecting sea glass and shells on family outings to the beach.  The texture of shells provides a contrast to glass tumbled and shaped by the sea.  This is a great project for starting to work with wire.  The gauge used is easy to manipulate and the organic nature of the design lends itself to flaws.  


No comments:

Post a Comment