Saturday 22 November 2014

Crystal Clay - Christmas Fair at Brancepeth Castle

Next weekend sees my last event of the year at Brancepeth Castle - the Christmas Craft Fair is on my door step and hoping to cross a few items of my shopping list.  I will be in the Armour Gallery - turn left on entering - near the facilities.......




In the run up to events.......I often play with crystal clay! I love working with the medium and I spend a lot of the year sourcing supplies - usually destashes, bead fairs or vintage shops.  The medium has a work time of 90 minutes - and if well organised can work with a full 25g block in that time.  Working with small quantities is easier initially - a sheet of paper provides the best work surface. Using gloves - equal parts of A and B are worked together - until the resin is fully mixed in.


Roll into small balls that suit the size and shape of the blank used e.g. create a flattened square if using a blank with corners.  Although guidance suggests that it is possible to remove epoxy resin from finding in work time - in reality not the case - residual is left behind.  Although I've had requests for brooches - limited suitable findings - and what I have tried is more difficult to work with.  Findings designed for use with crystals are good for setting clay into - button blanks, clasps & earring findings.  Chatons and charms are placed and pressed into the clay using a wax coated stick.  Reshape and leave to set for 48 hours.

Blanks
Findings
Charms & Chatons
Vintage Navettes & Tiles
Gold Crystal Clay
Silver Crystal Clay

No comments:

Post a Comment